One of my favorite materials to decorate with is burlap, I just like the rough, earthy look of it. I have been hauling around some old sacks that the previous owners of our house in BC had left behind and had decided that I was finally going to cut one up only to discover that I am not sure which box they are still packed away in. My heart was kind of set on making up my word in burlap on canvas for the Advent season so I went and bought some burlap (actually it really is jute which is a tighter weave) and have been waiting for a few minutes to put it together. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out as well as how very easy and quick it was to do!
- Burlap or Jute (finer weave) or whatever other material you would like.
- Letters (you can free hand or print some off like I did)
- Mod Podge or a much less expensive DIY Decoupage that I found HERE(Gotta love Pinterest!
- Canvas Frames (I used 8X10 dollar store cheapos)
- Paint Brush or Foam
- Trace or draw letters onto Burlap.
- Cut letters out while enlisting any little ones that you may have to spread decoupage on the canvas…it’s kind of like painting.
- Position letters on the canvas and pat into place.
- Spread more decoupage over the letters and canvas. Be generous, it will dry clear and you want to make sure that it sticks. (I added a wee bit of diamond dust for a little sparkle after the girls were finished.)
- Allow to dry and you are ready to decorate!
The canvas frames were the most expensive component at 1.25 each and so I spent between 5-6 dollars total. We spent about 20 minutes working on it together.
I then did some quick decorating and attempted to take some artsy pictures…Dan said that I did pretty well:).