As I have been learning about food and how it is processed and the effect it has on our bodies and our world, my thinking has changed drastically. As have our eating habits. I have a few “old” ways that I cling to. I was talking with a couple of friends last night about how I still really love good ol’ white sugar in my black teas…and I like black teas. One of the other things I have clung to is my pie crust. Well, I should say, my mom’s pie crust. It tastes really good and it works well for savory and sweet alike. However, I use vegetable shortening in it and I don’t want to use that any more. It wasn’t much of a problem because I rarely made pies but we have discovered that we like quiche so a change was needed. My first thought was to get lard from the store, but I have read that there other oils added. So I had an inspiration at the farmer’s market in the city when I saw a stall selling range fed, antibiotic/hormone free pork. They said they sold lard but I discovered that meant they sold un-rendered pig fat. I decided that we were up to the challenge so I bought 15 lbs of it.
I thought I would share a little about the process complete with pictures….really it isn’t so bad. This is the crock pot method, but we are in the process of doing a stove top method too (actually barbeque).
Add a few table spoons of water.
Turn the crockpot on low and cook away. I had mine inside for a very short time and then I put it outside so that it wouldn’t smell (this only works on a warm day though). I stirred it a couple of times but I don’t think that you even need to do that.
From what I read, it is done when the cracklings (Little House in the Big Woods, anyone?) turn brown and float on the top. I don’t think this is going to happen in the slow cooker (why we are trying the next batch in a pot). If you leave it too long after this they will sink and apparently it will be more “porky”.
I realized later that I jumped the gun a little and could have gotten more lard out of this batch but it was a learning experience.
Our finished product turned out pretty clear and we just poured it through a wire strainer into jars that I washed in HOT soapy water and then sterilized with boiling water. (I may be paranoid but I don’t want to risk contamination.)
Now it is time to just wait and see how the two batches compare. And I found a gluten free pie crust recipe that I am going to experiment with (explanation coming) in the next few days.