Tonight I wanted something quick for dinner but was craving something a little different and flavourful while using some of my purchases from the Farmers Market. Since Cecily was born, cooking has been hurried and *ahem* boring so the less hurried life we have begun has being allowing me time and inspiration to be creative which I have been enjoying. That being said, I have had some odd and not so delicious turn outs. I am happy to say that this pizza received a hearty stamp of approval from both husband and two year old palate. I also enjoyed it so I thought I would share it.
Spinach Pesto Pizza
- Whole Wheat Pita (didn’t have time to make pizza dough)
- Tomato Sauce
- Pesto (see recipe below)
- white onion
- Baby Spinach
- Marbled Cheddar Cheese
Spread the tomato sauce and pesto over the pita. Sprinkle with cheese, add spinach (I put lots) and white onion. Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is melted and the spinach and onion are slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
* I think that some tomatoes and feta would also be a tasty addition.
I may be breaking all kinds of rules when it comes to making Pesto but this is what I did.
- 1 c. Fresh Basil (I was a bit short so added in some lemon basil which was quite nice)
- 1/4 c. Walnuts (I think the real deal has pine nuts, roasted)
- 1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 cloves garlic (more if you really love garlic)
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
I just tossed it all in the blender and blended until smooth. This was enough to put on four pitas so add to the recipe as you need. If you want to have extra pesto to freeze for another time, just leave the parmesan out of what you want to freeze and add it later.
And there is a quick, simple pizza that disappeared off of our plates very quickly!