We haven’t tried making latkes since going gluten free, not because it would really be a challenge just never really thought of it. Last night on a whim, I just decided to throw these together. So easy and tasty. Served with yogurt or sour cream and some of the crab apple sauce that we made this past summer, these are very much a comfort food in our house. You could also just use wheat flour and leave out the psyllium husk. I also usually grate up a bunch extra so fry up for “hash browns” the next day.
Mixed Vegetable Latkes
2 c. Shredded Root Vegetables (Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Turnips, Carrots. I have also added apples and squash)
½ c. Shredded Onion (aprox.)
¼ c. Sorghum Flour
1 tsp Psyllium Husk
1 tsp Sea Salt
A few Red Pepper Flakes
A shake of Nutmeg (I use fresh grated)
2-3 cloves Garlic crushed
3 Tbs. Milk
Butter (for Frying)
- After shredding veggies (I use the food processor!), rinse them thoroughly to avoid a goopy mess. Squeeze or drain as much moisture as possible from them (I use cheese cloth or muslin, or just squeeze with my hands in a pinch).
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Heat a frying pan or griddle on mid to high heat, using butter to fry the latkes.
- Scoop a small amount and use a flipper to flatten it. Or use your hands to make it kind of like a thin burger.
- Fry until golden brown, flip and fry the other side until golden brown.
- Serve with yogurt or sour cream and apple sauce.
Makes 9 Latkes